Puerto Rican Red Beans and RiceBy truebrit on October 08, 2002
Photo by neaglesvm
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Servings: 4
About This Recipe”When we lived in Puerto Rico, this was a favorite meal. We’re back in the States now, but when I make Red Beans and Rice it transports me back to La Isla Del Encanto! It can be eaten as a meal itself or with a simple salad.”
- 1/2 cup chopped lean ham
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chorizo sausage, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) cans unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add ham, chorizo, onion and green pepper, garlic and cumin.
- Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans, tomato sauce and Tabasco sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients and 4 cups water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender.