Original Recipe Yield 5 cups
Sofrito is at the heart of most Puerto Rican Recipes. The Hispanic Food Network has an easy Sofrito recipe we know you’re going to love. Enjoy!
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 10 ajies dulces peppers, tops removed
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 onions, cut into large chunks
- 3 medium heads garlic peeled
- 25 cilantro leaves with stems
- 25 leaves recao, or culantro
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- In a food processor, combine green peppers, red peppers ajies dulces, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add cilantro, recao, salt, and pepper. Process to the consistency of semi-chunky salsa (not watery). Place in a ziplock freezer bag, and use as needed, or freeze in portions.
Recao is a popular Caribbean herb with many aliases. Among them, Culantro, long coriander, ngo-gai, and Mexican coriander. It may possibly be found in Latin grocery stores, or substitute with cilantro.
Aji Dulce is a common ingredient in Puerto Rican recipes. It is a small, sweet red pepper. If you can’t find it, use red bell pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 10 | Total Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 0mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient